Seal of East Allen Township
5344 Nor-Bath Boulevard / Northampton, Pa 18067 / 610-262-7961

Public Works - About

Our Public Works Department is a team of dedicated individuals who strive to provide the top quality manpower and skills necessary to implement new projects and maintain quality in our Roads, Parks, and Public Facilities.

When will my street be plowed?

The primary goal of the Public Works Department is to ensure that all the maintained roadways are promptly cleared and treated as quickly and safely as possible following a storm event. Patience and understanding by all residents and the general public goes a long way in making snow removal in East Allen a successful undertaking. If you have concerns or emergency needs for snow removal, please contact the Municipal Office and your information will be given to the Public Works Department or any other entity including the Fire Department and Ambulance Corps as it is received.

My mailbox has been damaged by the snow plow. What should I do?

Mailboxes are always placed in the Township right of way. They should be secured and set back from the roadside to prevent damage that can occur from the snow leaving the plow blade. It is the responsibility of the residents, which means the department is not liable for damages to mailboxes caused by snow removal operations. In most cases, damages are not caused by direct contact with the snowplow, but from heavy, wet snow being thrown from the plow. Residents are required to inspect their mailboxes prior to snow season.

Can I place my portable basketball system in the street?

No. Please do not place portable basketball systems along the edge of streets. The Public Works Department will not be responsible for damage to the portable basketball systems during plowing operations.

Does the Township trim trees?

When time permits, the Township trims trees overhanging the roadway. This provides proper clearance for vehicles. If you do not want your trees trimmed by the Township, please have your trees trimmed by a licensed or certified arborist.

The late dormant season is best for most pruning. Pruning in late winter, just before spring growth starts, leaves fresh wounds exposed for only a short length of time before new growth begins the wound sealing process. Another advantage of dormant pruning is that it's easier to make pruning decisions after the trees have lost their leaves and the branch structure is easy to see, especially oak trees. Never tip or top. In other words, do not cut off the ends of branches. Always remove a branch to a larger branch or to the trunk. Proper branch reduction preserves natural form. Sometimes a tree must be reduced in height or spread, such as for providing utility line clearance or to reduce obstruction near an intersection. There are recommended techniques for doing so.

  • Small branches should be removed back to their point of origin.
  • If a larger limb must be shortened, it should be pruned back to a lateral branch that is large enough to assume the terminal role.

Never leave a stub and never make a cut flush with the trunk, destroying the branch collar. Leaving a stub maintains an open pathway to decay. The tree can only heal itself if the pruning cut is made properly.

Remember to trim the branches that hang into roadways 16' high and 4' back from shoulder of the road. Property owners who live on corner properties should also be aware that you should not plant anything in the "Sight Triangle."

Shrubs and trees overhanging the roadway have been a problem throughout the Township. Please keep all shrubs, trees and any type of landscaping out of the four (4') right of way back from the shoulder of the road. This can be a problem when plowing snow and for underground utilities.

Why hire an arborist?
Pruning large trees can be dangerous. If pruning involves working above the ground or using power equipment, it is best to hire a professional arborist. An arborist can determine the type of pruning necessary to improve the health, appearance and safety of your trees. A certified arborists can also provide the services of a trained crew with the required safety equipment and liability insurance. Be sure to ask for their credentials.

Does the Township provide leaf collection?

The Township does not collect leaves curbside, however, residents can dispose of leaves at the FRCA (First Regional Compost Authority) facility. Items accepted at the facility include:

  • Leaves
  • Brush
  • Christmas Trees
  • Yard Waste
  • Sod & Top Soil

Resident I.D. Cards (Brush Permit Cards) are required and can be applied for at the Municipal Building. Cost for the annual permit is $20.00.

What can I do with my Christmas tree at the end of the season?

East Allen Township Public Works Department provided curbside collection for Christmas Trees in 2017 following the Holiday. The collection has ended. A total of 141 trees throughout the (3) days were collected by the Department.

Please check back for 2018 dates.

The trees are taken to the Township Recycling Center (FRCA). Where they will be chipped and processed as mulch which becomes available for pickup in spring.

NOTE: Trees MUST be "bare" - that means free of lights, plastic bags, ornaments, stand, tinsel, etc. All MUST be removed! Please place trees along edge of lawn. DO NOT put your tree out with regular garbage, in the event your trash hauler picks it up.

If you can't wait for the curbside pickup or missed the dates, you may bring your tree to the Recycling Center (FRCA) located at 6701 Weaversville Road, Northampton, PA 18067. Be sure to have your Resident I.D. card with you when dropping off your tree.

My neighbor is placing leaves from his/her yard into the street! What can be done about this?

Per Ordinance Chapter 208-31 Deposit of debris on roads states no type of mud, debris, litter or foreign material shall be deposited, spread or spilled on any Township road at any time. If neighbors witness such activity, they should contact the Township office and make a formal complaint. Cut grass is not to be mowed into the street. This clogs the gutters.
Property owners shall remove such material immediately after notification.

There is a pothole in the road. Will the Township fix that?

First, you must verify if you live on a Township road or a State road.
If you live on a State road, please contact PennDOT at 1-800-FIX-ROAD (1-800-349-7623).
If you live on a Township road, please follow these steps to report the pothole in your community:

  • Contact the Township office during regular business hours;
  • Report the location of the pothole;
  • The secretary will forward the information provided to the Public Works Department for follow-up and repair;
  • The Public Works Department will take care of the pothole as soon as possible.

*Please note, during winter month's cold patch (the material used for this type of repair) is in short supply, so the Department has to wait until it becomes available to make the necessary repairs to your road.

There is a dead animal in the street. Who do I call about this?

Contact the Pennsylvania Game Commission, Southeast Region, Reading Dispatch at 610-926-3136 or 610-926-3137.

view in East Allen Township
© 2016 East Allen Township, 5344 Nor-Bath Boulevard / Northampton, Pa 18067 / 610-262-7961